History: Preparatory phase 2014 and 2017, starting in 2019
Coverage Estimate: 50%
Feasibility: 60%
Supported by: Government of Gabon, World Bank, MSH

Description: In 2014, the Government of Gabon requested Management Sciences for Health (MSH) to assist in reforming its health system. The government was particularly interested in the Rwandan PBF approaches.

Then from 2016 onwards, the government also requested the World Bank to assist with setting up a PBF program in Gabon. The particularity of Gabon is that it already has an insurance program that covers about 70% of the population. Moreover, non-infectious diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, obesity already exceed the workload of infectious diseases. The emphasis of the PBF program is, therefore, to focus on the remaining 30% non-insured population, on quality assurance and efficiency gains as well as the preventive and promotional activities not covered by the insurance system. The PBF program will promote transparency by the separation of functions and encourages a more efficient system between health provider and for purchasing inputs from distributors operating in competition.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email